Finding cheap car insurance can be a real challenge, especially if you’re a young or new driver, or you’ve got a low no claims discount.
Our sister brand, insurethebox, has designed a product specifically aimed at drivers that would normally find themselves with expensive car insurance quotes. If you're looking for young driver insurance or new driver insurance, you've come to the right place.
It all revolves around fitting a black box (also known as a telematics box) to your car. This helps insurethebox keep you safe and helps you prove how safely you drive. Young and new driver car insurance can be expensive, so this technology allows insurethebox to assist in reducing the cost of car insurance for young and new drivers, whilst helping to make the roads safer.
The benefits of the black box with insurethebox
- The black box (the in-tele-box) includes additional features: firstly, you get an Accident Alert service which means that if the box senses a strong impact on the car it can send an alert to the insurethebox Service Centre so they can call you to make sure you’re OK.
- Secondly you get a theft recovery service so insurethebox can help the police locate your car if it’s stolen.
- There are no curfews and no fines.
- The box lets you prove you’re a safe driver so you can earn rewards in the form of extra miles and possibly a discount at renewal.
How does car insurance with insurethebox work?
- You start by choosing 6,000, 8,000 or 10,000 miles (you can buy more at any time).
- Your premium is based on a specific number of miles – not an estimation that could be much higher than the amount you actually end up driving.
- Once you’ve bought the policy, you have a black box fitted to your car. This measures how, when, where and how far you drive.
- If you prove that you are a safe driver, you will earn additional miles every month – these are called Bonus Miles.
- Then when it’s time for your renewal quote, they’ll take into account how safely you’ve driven when calculating your price.
The telematics box
When you take out telematics car insurance with insurethebox the installation team will arrange for the in-tele-box to be fitted - this takes about an hour. The telematics box monitors the following information:
- The time of day you drive
- The speed you drive at on different roads
- If you brake or accelerate sharply
- Whether you take breaks on long journeys
- Your motorway miles
- Your total mileage
- The total number of journeys you make
This information allows insurethebox to find out how you drive, and helps the company to calculate how many Bonus Miles you may be entitled to - depending on how safely you’ve been driving.
Car insurance that uses the latest technology
As an insurethebox customer you can manage your policy online with your online Portal. This is a personalised online dashboard where you can check back every month to see how your driving has been scored, and find out how many Bonus Miles you have earned. You can earn up to 100 Bonus Miles each month, and you can roll them over to your next year’s policy if you have any left over.
The quote form works on all devices, so you can get a quote on your mobile, tablet or desktop.